Cell Phone Spy Apps: How To Get Caught Spying
The internet is full of websites telling you "how to catch a cheating spouse" or "husband" or "wife" or "boyfriend" or …. I'm sure you get the picture. And all of these sites want you to install a spy app to spy on your significant other to get the damning evidence you need.
But how easy is it to get CAUGHT SPYING on someone else — whether it be your kids or spouse or girlfriend? It is easier than you think.
There are many steps to install spy apps and cover your installation tracks, and having five minutes to install a spy app isn't feasible, as I discussed previously.
1. download history (not the same as downloaded files or browser history)
In my wife's Samsung:
When I click on "Download history" in the above screen, this is what I see:
In other words, according to this screen, one would think that no downloaded files exist on the phone.
Next, instead of clicking on "Download History", I click on Local Storage, then either "Internal" or "SD Card", and then "DOWNLOADS". Now she has a LIST of downloaded files!
2. Downloaded files
downloaded files in notification bar
3. tiles in browser (browser history)
4. avast – forget to "ignore" spy app
5. avast – forget to delete originally downloaded apk install file
6. location notification of what apps are requesting location
7. cleaning apps: other apps (like junk cleaners) that test for spy apps may not scan for 1-3 days, then detects spy app because you didn't know to set it to "ignore"
8. android scanning for dangers. Disagree, but what if the phone owner turns it back on?
9. android/su root asking for auth after reboot because you forgot to disable SU root re-authorizations:
10. Installing an App that installs with a SPY APP NAME. This is inside "Super SU", showing which program has Super User access. If there was an entry here marked "com.android.myspyapp", you would be busted.
11. downloaded apps in a new phone with almost no other entries. Same comment as above.
12. Forget to tell the program to "hide itself" upon reboots.
13. My phone, a Chinese brand, does not track data usage of data across the WIFI. It only provides tracking by app when the Mobile Data is used. Until recently, I thought all phones were the same way.
Then my daughter had problems with her tablet and sent me these pictures to help her fix her lack-of-data issue. I almost fell off my chair when I looked at the pictures she sent and realized what was being displayed!
In the above example, you can see that 529mb had been used by the listed app. That app is a spy app — and the usage is so high, because it was uploading ambient noise recordings that were recorded on her phone!! If that app somehow identified itself as a spy app in the name, then the installer will get busted.