Review of Secret Spy Phone App TheTruthSpy (I Spyoo) in [non-rooted] Samsung S4
Testing and review of secret spy phone app TheTruthSpy (I Spyoo) in [non-rooted] Samsung S4 was more difficult than I had imagined, due to the number of warnings being popped up.
Warnings received (FIVE!):
1. “Do not install this app: It can be used to spy on you!”
The rest of the warnings were avast and clean sweep. To see more warnings that were generated, go to You Can’t Install Spy On Android Apps in Five Minutes!
When attempting to log into the truth spy on this phone, I continued to get “incorrect email/password or problem with server”. Yet, I went right to my online browser and logged in immediately using the same credentials. Exited, typed everything in again and still no luck.
One more time, and in. Taken to device admin screen to allow thetruthspy to be a device admin. Then choose CONFIGURATION; and HIDE ICON.
Took me back to a warning from one of the apps telling me that a virus/malware was installed. Even though highster was installed, and I was able to set Highster to be ignored from the virus scanner, I was having problems finding “ignore” option for the truth spy as it reported it as MALWARE. I exited out and it stopped flashing a virus warning … for now.
Decided to reboot the phone. TIP: If you are installing spy apps or parental apps, ALWAYS reboot the phone before returning to the target.
After the reboot, go to downloads, and DELETE the truth spy APK file.
Then go to AVAST, where you will see “Security Risks” that you must resolve. Choose the file that it says is “dangerous” and left click the phone — you will see the option “Add to ignore list”. Click that and avast goes “green” again.
If you are still logged into the control panel of the truth spy, log out and log back in to allow it to reset to the new phone being added to the account. Go to settings -> sync settings and change what you want to monitor in the control panel. Then click update for the online panel and the phone to sync.
One of the biggest reasons for installing TTS in the Samsung S4 was to see if it was able to do “more” than what I experienced with non-Samsung brands. As a reminder, the Samsung is not rooted, meaning that many of the additional features were not going to work.
What features worked with the Samsung?
1. GPS immediately locked on location and displayed on a map on my control panel. If you read my other reports, GPS NEVER displayed on the non-Samsung phones. So seeing GPS display immediately was a surprise.
2. SMS Messages were immediately uploaded to the control panel online.
3. CALL Log / History was immediately uploaded to the control panel online.
4. Ambient Call Recording (“Room Bug”) worked fine and without delay.
5. If Data is OFF, TTS turned data on. But it didn’t turn it off after use! I manually turned it off and within a few minutes, it was back on. And when I updated the instructions to use WIFI ONLY, it continued to activate the data channel. So it worked, but it also didn’t work correctly.
[If the phone you are monitoring does not have a data package all the time, this is a problem as it will continue to use the money in the account (if prepaid) or continue to bill the user for data use (if postpaid). Three days after installation, I had to remove TheTruthSpy from the Samsung s4 because I could not make TTS stop turning the data channel “on” — costing the user almost $2USD each day. Highster Mobile is still installed and did not give me that same problem].
And what features did not work?
1. Contacts from the phone did not display in the online control panel.
2. URL history did not display in the online control panel.
3. Picture History did not display (but I had it turned off and didn’t activate because the phone has GCloudBackup).
4. Nothing that required root worked of course .. that means NO facebook, NO Whats App (note below), NO Line, NO Skype, etc.
The Truth Spy does state that Whats App messages can be delayed by as much as one day if the phone is not rooted. That means I have to wait 24 hours before I can tell if this feature works.
Two days later, WHATSAPP messages STILL were NOT SHOWN in the control panel. This was supposed to work without root, but never did.